Published in the Sun June 26, 2015
It was thwarted as gunmen in Tunisia killed at least 38 people, including five Brits, in a terror attack on a Sousse beach in which the “majority” of victims are thought to be from the UK, Tunisia’s prime minister has reportedly said.
Downing Street also said the PM will chair a meeting of the Cobra emergency committee this morning and the Government “will do everything we can to help those affected in the wake of the attack.
Meanwhile, the head of a man decapitated by terrorists at a factory near Lyon, France, was covered in Islamic inscriptions and left hanging from railings beside an IS flag.
Also yesterday, a suicide attack on a Shia mosque packed with 2,000 worshippers for Friday prayers in Kuwait’s capital killed at least 25 more.
And IS fighters detonated car bombs and slaughtered at least 120 civilians in a two-pronged offensive as they battled to win back the key Syrian border city of Kobane.
The atrocities came after IS called for an escalation during Ramadan, the traditional month-long Islamic period of fasting. PM David Cameron last night summoned the Cobra emergency committee to co-ordinate Britain’s response and vowed to confront the Islamist “death cult”.
Scotland Yard’s Counter Terrorism Command were last night working to ensure safety at today’s Armed Forces Day parade in Merton, South West London, after it was targeted by IS.
The terror group’s plot to explode a pressure cooker bomb — killing soldiers and bystanders on the route — failed after one of its leaders in Syria unwittingly recruited an undercover Sun investigator to carry it out.
Junaid Hussain, who fled to Syria from Britain, trained our man to build the bomb, but we (the Sun, ndlr) alerted police.
Cops said security had been stepped up. A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “The public are encouraged to attend or take part in events as normal”… Read more.